In the blink of an eye

So first block officially finished on Friday and I was VERY sad to leave lovely SJA (St. Joan of Arc high school in Mississauga, Ontario).

Being a young school, every classroom was equipped with a SMARTboard, which I learned to love and use daily. Majority of the students, although not allowed to be used in the classroom, had PEDs and were quite knowledgable in how to use the SMARTboard technology. The environment of the school was welcoming, and all staff members were willing to offer me advice in all aspects of teaching.

My ‘love for math’ was fulfilled in helping tutor students after school in the STEP program, since I was teaching two classes of Grade 9 Academic Geography for my first placement. I had to go home every night and learn the material because geography was my minor and many terms I did not understand myself.

The month flew by, and I could not believe that Friday was the last day I would be walking the halls of SJA. However, the lessons I LEARNED, as opposed to taught, are the memories I will take with me to my next placement.
The most important is that educators teach STUDENTS, not subjects. I had the experience of teaching a Credit Recovery course and quickly realized the unique qualities of all students. Some were quiet workers who would finish lessons on their own, without much guidance; while others needed help forming full, proper sentences as they attempted to complete a grade 9 mathematics course. However, at the end of the day, even though most went home and forgot what they were taught that day, I hope to never forget what they taught me.

Teaching is a life-long journey, and even after all my courses here at Brock are over and I walk across that stage to receive my degree, I will not be done ‘becoming a teacher’. With every September, and every new class, and every new unique student, I’m certain I will learn something new day-by-day and year-by-year. And I just can’t wait!!!

2 thoughts on “In the blink of an eye

1. It is so inspiring that you reflect so genuinly about how the teaching and learning process. For some of us, it takes many years to grasp the idea that teaching is a life long journey and that change is something we should be excited about. You have started a professional network within your school and within a global network and you will have resources, supports and colleagues from across the world. Being networked will help you see the possibilities from many perspectives. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you and I look forward to continued collaboration.
    Zoe

2. Pingback: Blogging for Real Reform | PIPEDREAMS